The National Association of Active Investment Managers or NAAIM was formed in 1989 as a non-profit association of registered investment advisors who provide active money management services to their clients, in order to produce favorable risk-adjusted returns as an alternative to more passive, buy and hold strategies. Originally called SAAFTI and comprised of a small group of successful, passionate firms, NAAIM has grown to include roughly 200 member firms nationwide, managing over $30 billion. NAAIM’s purpose is to promote the common interests of those investment advisors who provide active investment management services to clients.
NAAIM defines “active investment management services” as taking an active role in the ongoing process of investment selection and risk management with the objective of improving a portfolio’s risk/reward relationship. The active management strategies used by our members are diverse, and utilize a broad range of securities including mutual funds, variable annuities, equity baskets, index-linked, exchange-traded securities, futures and other innovative products.
NAAIM’s membership ranges from small regional firms to large national firms with over $1b AUM, including hedge fund managers, mutual fund companies and a variety of other firms that provide professional services to RIAs.
As an organization, NAAIM engages in numerous activities to promote active management and further the professional development of its members, including:
- Acquiring, preserving and disseminating valuable information relative to, or useful in providing, active investment management services;
- Providing the opportunity for members to exchange information, experiences and opinions through discussions, meetings, study and publications;
- Keeping its members informed of legislative and administrative changes affecting investment advisory services, and representing their interests in the formulation of policy affecting such services;
- Developing and encouraging the practice of high standards of personal and professional conduct among members and the public;
- Educating the public with regard to the concept and benefits of active investment management services and promoting the public’s use of such services.
NAAIM’s many professional development opportunities are headlined by our annual conference – Uncommon Knowledge – which is held each spring in locations around the U.S. CRAM (Cultivating Relationships Among Managers) Sessions are held several times a year on timely topics for our members, as are teleconference and webinar events. In addition, the members-only portion of our site provides for the ready exchange of ideas and information among members.
For more information on NAAIM and the benefits we offer our members, we invite you to continue to explore our site and to call or email if you have additional questions.